AltmanAltmanLLP Group Photo
Over $100 Million in Verdicts and Settlements

Alien Fiancé K-1 Visas


Sometimes the person you fall in love with and wish to spend the rest of your life with comes from the most unlikely of places. Perhaps you meet on vacation outside the country, or through a dating app online. Regardless, you know you want to marry this person, but there’s one problem. They aren’t a U.S. citizen, and you both want to live in America. This is a very common problem to have, and the attorneys at Altman & Altman LLP can help you navigate it seamlessly.

Alien Fiancé K-1 Visas allow U.S. citizens to marry and live with their alien (non-U.S. immigrant) fiancé(e) in the U.S. The marriage must meet the conditions established by the state in which the prospective couple wishes to marry. Altman & Altman LLP are experts in helping with this process, which is essential to ensuring a legal partnership that will not result in legal penalties or even deportation.

To apply for an Alien Fiancé K-1 Visa, you must file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); and an application for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

The fiancé(e) then will be interviewed and required to present the following:

  • A passport that permits him or her to travel to the U.S.
  • Birth certificate
  • Divorce or death certificate of previous spouse(s), if any, of both the U.S. citizen and alien fiancé(e)
  • Police certificates documenting areas of residence since age 16
  • Medical examination
  • Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support)
  • Two Nonimmigrant Visa Applications, Form DS-156
  • One Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application, Form DS-156K
  • Two visa photos
  • Relationship evidence
  • Processing fees.
Marriage Process

Upon receiving the K-1 Visa, the fiancé(e) may travel to the U.S., where the prospective couple must get married within 90 days of being admitted into the country.

Traveling Outside of the U.S.

If the fiancé(e) wishes to travel in and out of the U.S., then you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, to be able to re-enter the country.

Fiancé Employment

If the fiancé wishes to become employed within the U.S., then you must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to obtain a work permit.

Accuracy and Timeliness of This Process Is Essential

The processing time for obtaining K-1 Visas can be significantly delayed if you do not follow the instructions carefully, your application is incomplete, or your application contains incorrect information. The attorneys at Altman and Altman LLP would like to help you with the process from the very beginning so that you and your fiancé(e) will be able to avoid such delays and any possible inconveniences. We are also willing to expand upon any of the conditions that apply to the fiancé under a K-1 Visa.

We understand that people in this situation may be extremely nervous or unaware of specific details regarding the strict legal process, and so we strive to be as accommodating and helpful as possible to make the experience as pleasant and straightforward as possible. Our expert team has over 50 years of experience in the field, and with that experience comes an unparalleled customer service that we believe puts us ahead of all other law firms in Massachusetts and beyond.

We understand that you may have many questions, and may wish to meet directly with one of our attorneys to go over the process and all the things you need to make the process go smoothly. After all, this is a legal process that will directly impact your ability to marry someone you love – we absolutely understand and sympathize with the importance of that!

Contact us online or call to schedule a consultation to go over the details of your case today at 617-492-3000 or toll-free at 800-481-6199.

U.S. Government Resources

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé(e) (K-1), U.S. Department of State

Client Reviews
David was very aggressive and professional with the insurance companies in this settlement of this case. He kept me up to date on a regular basis through the whole process. I can't thank David and his staff enough and strongly recommend them to anyone. - Edward M. Newton MA
On the behalf of all the Bikers in Massachusetts .... Dave Altman is the man you want representing you. He treats you like family from day 1. His team will recovers any and all damages you are entitled too. Tell him Kathy sent you. - elentless MC
Rick Floor is who I often to go to and he is amazing! Great customer service, and always exceeds my expectations but the whole office is always pleasant and helpful when I call or walk in! - Rita
I am not very good at words. I was involved in a horrible accident. David and his team (Thank You Asia & Rick) are wonderful, talented and compassionate. If it were not for their help, I don’t believe the outcome would be as good as it is. I am glad my case is settled, Altman & Altman are my go to team from now on. Thank you so very much. - Christine F M Teixeira
Exceptional team of attorneys, very helpful and knowledgeable. - Nikki Vee