Birth injuries are heartbreaking for families. Every year, birth injuries occur in 7 out of every 1,000 births. There are 28,000 birth injuries annually, 2,333 monthly, 538 weekly, and 76 daily. They usually result from complications like trauma and pressure on the baby during the birth process. Sometimes birth injuries are the result of negligence on the part of medical professionals, and compensation might be appropriate in such instances.
What are the types of birth injuries?
- Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral palsy is caused by brain trauma/lack of oxygen during the birth or near its time. It causes nerve dysfunction such as loss of movement. Cerebral palsy cannot improve with time. Medical errors like incorrect use of forceps and leaving the baby in the canal for an extended period of time can lead to cerebral palsy.
- Facial Paralysis. Facial paralysis is often caused by improper use of forceps during the birth process. Forceps can put pressure on the nerves and tear them, and this can require surgery.
- Erb’s Palsy (a.k.a Brachial Plexus Injury). This is often caused when a doctor makes an error in delivering the baby’s shoulders and stretches the nerves. Erb’s palsy paralyzes or weakens the arms. Sometimes recovery without surgery is possible after several months, but surgery can be required and improvement might be impossible.
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). Lack of oxygen or blood flow to the brain causes HIE. It is a form of brain damage.
- Other Serious Brain Injuries.
- Wrongful Death.
Greater Boston Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Altman & Altman, LLPFor over 40 years, the Greater Boston Law Firm of Altman & Altman, LLP has been representing injured individuals and their families throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our experienced team of Massachusetts Birth Injury Lawyers understands the difficulties that families face following a Birth Injury. We will stand by your side throughout the entire legal process and will fully explain your legal rights in order to help you navigate these difficult waters.
If you think that you might have a birth injury medical malpractice case, Contact the law firm of Altman & Altman LLP. Our team of talented personal injury lawyers will work tirelessly to figure out the cause of the injury and whether or not it could have been prevented. We have extensive experience in all areas of personal injury law and a network of medical experts who can identify medical negligence. While no amount of money will ever make up for a Birth Injury, financial compensation can help you to ensure that your child gets the treatment that he or she needs.
If your child has suffered a birth injury in Massachusetts, please Contact our Greater Boston Birth Injury Lawyers at 617.492.3000 or 800.481.6199 toll-free, or contact us online to schedule a Free of Charge Initial Consultation with one of our skilled attorneys. We are available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week to answer all of your questions.
We Charge No Fee Unless You Recover