Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Boston Apartments / Condos
Carbon monoxide is called “the silent killer” for a reason. The colorless, odorless gas can generate as the result of essentially anything which combusts – like a space heater or a gas-fired stove – and can fill a room and cause severe health complications in a relatively short matter of time. It can also cause death if tenants are not alerted to its presence, as it causes those suffering from its symptoms to drift off to sleep and not wake up. If you were nearly killed or a loved one suffered a wrongful death due to carbon monoxide poisoning while at a Boston apartment or condo, contact the premise liability experts at Altman & Altman LLP today.
Apartment and condominium landlords and property owners have a responsibility to ensure that they equip each living unit with a functional carbon monoxide detector if they have any reason to believe carbon monoxide may become an issue within the building.
Buildings which utilize old heating systems which still burn oil or other fossil fuels may cause high levels of carbon monoxide to build up within certain areas of the building, which may seep through heating systems into individual apartments. Such a situation can be incredibly dangerous, especially during the colder months when heating systems are running nonstop.
In the event that a building expels its dangerous exhaust via a ventilation system, it is extremely important that the landlord or property owner keeps this venting system clear and free of debris. For example, if a big snowstorm results in footage of snow piling up, it could block the ventilation system and keep the carbon monoxide indoors, endangering everybody inside.
In another scary possibility, apartments and condos which supply tenants with gas-burning stoves may result in carbon monoxide accumulating inside of apartments, especially if the stove is not properly maintained and does not properly vent its exhaust.
Landlords and apartment owners of older buildings may also think it is a good idea to use portable heating units (sometimes called space heaters) inside of the building’s common areas to keep it warm and cut down on heating costs. Besides the obvious fire risks that these units pose, if used indoors without proper ventilation, they can result in carbon monoxide building up and harming tenants.We hold property owners accountable
Property owners have a responsibility to warn tenants about the possible risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. If they do not supply a carbon monoxide detector, they should at least provide tenants with the information that they should purchase one to be safe.
In premise liability law, liability is assigned to property owners if they could have reasonably prevented a tragedy involving carbon monoxide. This can mean they didn’t properly ventilate an area while utilizing a space heater, or failed to ensure that a ventilation system was unobstructed and allowed carbon monoxide to accumulate within the building.
If a property owner is aware that carbon monoxide poisoning is a possibility at their property, they must take measures to prevent it from harming their tenants. If they fail to do so, contact one of our premise liability experts today. Altman & Altman LLP has over 50 years of experience holding property owners accountable for negligence, and we can help you collect financial compensation today.
Our attorneys live and work in Boston, Cambridge and the Massachusetts area, and we understand how important it is to have an apartment and condo that is safe and free of potential hazards to your health. If you or a loved one experienced a close call with carbon monoxide, or was lost to what you feel was a wrongful and untimely death, contact us without delay.
Call us for a free consultation to discuss the details of your claim today at 617.492.3000 or toll-free at 800.481.6199. We are available 24/7.