Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Known as the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide poisoning kills an average of 500 people every year, and sends many more to the hospital due to the health complications it creates. Sometimes you may be exposed to carbon monoxide due to somebody else’s negligence, or are not able to react due to a faulty product intended to detect its presence. In such cases, the Massachusetts carbon monoxide attorneys of Altman & Altman LLP are here to help.
Carbon monoxide, chemically, is very close to carbon dioxide, one of the most important chemical compounds in the world – which we exhale with every breath. However carbon monoxide, which is produced most often by combustion of various fuels and released in fumes, will actually replace the oxygen in our blood, rendering our bodies to essentially suffocate internally as our muscles and organs don’t receive any oxygen to breathe.
It is frighteningly easy to accidentally poison yourself with carbon monoxide, and can happen in a variety of ways without you being aware that it is occurring, such as:
- Barbequing with a charcoal grill in an enclosed space, such as an enclosed porch, and spending a long time in the fumes
- Letting a car run inside a garage for a long time with no ventilation
- Using a fuel-burning space heater indoors for a long period of time without ventilation
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious, debilitating injuries, such as permanent brain damage, and can kill if the exposure lasts too long. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause permanent damage or loss of life to an unborn child, and children and the elderly are especially vulnerable.
Anybody experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning should not dismiss them, and seek medical help immediately. The symptoms include:
- A dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning may occur while you’re not in your own house as well, and this is where it is vital to know where to find an experienced and capable carbon monoxide attorney in Massachusetts. Perhaps you were staying at a motel, hotel or other type of sleepover accommodation like a bed and breakfast or an AirBnB, and suffered an exposure to carbon monoxide.
In such an instance, the homeowner, innkeeper or hotel management are responsible for any injuries you sustained or for the expensive medical treatment you may have required after the exposure. Establishments which deal in the business of accommodating people have a huge responsibility to ensure that their facilities are safe and hazard-free. Ensuring that there are no carbon monoxide hazards in the rooms is a prime responsibility of such establishments, and we will hold them accountable if they were negligent in these duties.
You may also have been reliant on a carbon monoxide detector for use in your own home, which may have malfunctioned or been faulty to begin with, and resulted in you succumbing to a carbon monoxide poisoning experience. In this instance, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Altman & Altman LLP will aggressively pursue the manufacturer of the faulty product and fight for your right to earn compensation on the basis of a faulty product which led to a serious health risk and exposure.
At Altman & Altman, we have over 50 years of experience assisting our clients through a wide range of many different types of injuries. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a potentially-deadly affliction, and we will advocate ferociously on your behalf to ensure that you are able to pay for your medical expenses and make up for money lost from being unable to work.
Call us for a free consultation today at 617.492.3000 or toll-free at 800.481.6199 to go over the details of your case. We are available 24/7.