Defective Furniture and Household Appliances
According to the Center for Injury Research, approximately 14,000 Americans under the age of 17 are injured from household furniture and appliances every year. The most common causes are television sets, desks, bookcases, shelves and dressers tipping over onto young children. Often these household items are dangerously wobbly or have inadequate warning labels.
What kind of injuries do furniture and household appliances cause?
Furniture and household appliances can lead to a host of different injuries including:
- Neck injuries
- Head injuries and brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Full or partial paralysis
- Burns from electronic products or flammable items
- Electrocution from electronics
- Broken and crushed bones
- Permanent disfigurement
The type of injury suffered usually depends on the age of the victim. Children ages 1 to 3 tend to suffer the most serious injuries like injuries to the head and neck. Lower body injuries are more common in older children and adults.
How to prevent injuries from household furniture and appliances:
- Anchor heavy furniture to the wall
- Place televisions on furniture that is appropriately-sized and low to the ground.
- Don’t use television stands with drawers. Children may be tempted to climb up them.
- Secure free-standing stoves
- Keep electronics and anything with a cord out of the reach of children
- Don’t put anything that might be attractive to children on your TV stand (i.e. toys or anything resembling a toy like knick knacks, DVDs, remote controls, etc.)
Call the Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys of Altman & Altman LLP Today at 617 492 3000 or 800 481 6199
If you have been injured from a defective household item or if you have any questions about personal injury law, the attorneys at Altman & Altman would like to help you. Products liability law can be very complicated, and you will need an experienced and skilled attorney. Our team of products liability lawyers has more than four decades of experience, and it shows in our work. Over the years, we have represented persons seriously injured or killed because of all kinds of dangerous and defective products. We have recovered from some of the largest manufacturers in the world. Call the outstanding personal injury attorneys of Altman & Altman LLP at 617.492.3000 or 800.481.6199 toll-free, or contact us online for a free consultation. We are available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week to answer any questions that you might have for us.