Products Liability and Food
Typically, products liability claims against the food industry involve contamination (food poisoning, salmonella, etc.), presence of foreign substances in food, and exploding bottles. This is not surprising given that every year, foodborne diseases cause about 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,000 deaths in the United States. Now, more and more claims involve allegations of health problems resulting from what some might call unhealthy food products (i.e. fast food), even when those products were chosen by the consumer. Whatever the case may be, defective food can cause serious illness or death, and when food manufacturers and restaurants negligently put unsafe food products on the market, they should be held legally responsible.
Tips to avoid getting food poisoning:
Unfortunately, if you get sick from a defective food product, you probably will have no way of knowing that it’s defective until you get sick. In other instances, the following tips are helpful in preventing illness:
- Make sure that food from animal sources like meat and eggs are cooked thoroughly.
- If you suspect that your food is undercooked at a restaurant, send it back and ask for a new, clean plate. This might make you feel impolite, but you would feel much worse if you got sick.
- Always wash your hands before handling food.
- Check expiration dates.
- Don’t thaw food at room temperature. Thaw it in the refrigerator.
- Avoid cross-contamination.
- “When in doubt, throw it out.” If there is something off about your food (whether it be the taste, smell, etc.), trust your instincts and get rid of it.
Call the Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys of Altman & Altman LLP Today at 617 492 3000 or 800 481 6199
Altman & Altman LLP, a Cambridge boutique law firm, has a team of products liability attorneys that cannot be beat. Our exceptional lawyers bring decades of experience and success to the table. We are talented practitioners, aggressive advocates and sympathetic listeners. We approach every case with one goal in mind: success for our clients. We think that our firm is very unique. We offer our clients the close attention that is characteristic of small law offices as well as the professional credentials and resources that are characteristic of large firms. Call the outstanding personal injury attorneys of Altman & Altman LLP at 617.492.3000 or 800.481.6199 toll-free, or contact us online for a free consultation. We are available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week to help you. Our professionals and staff are fluent in a variety of languages.