THERE IS A CONSULTATION FEE TO MEET WITH ONE OF OUR IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS - PLEASE CALL FOR PRICING DETAILS
Student Visas are issued to foreign nationals for the purpose of studying in the U.S. and are classified into two categories:
- "F" visa: academic and language studies; and
- "M" visa: nonacademic and career studies.
In 2007, the U.S. Government issued over 600,000 Student Visas to foreign nationals, a number that surpasses all previous figures.
Basic requirements for obtaining a Student Visa:
- Form I-20A-B, (for Academic and Language Students) Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status - or - Form I-20M-N, (for Vocational Students) Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status;
- Form I-20 (generated by Student and Exchange Visitor Information System or SEVIS), supplied by the desired school;
- Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form;
- Form DS-158, Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant;
- Interview at a U.S. embassy;
- Passport that allows travel to the U.S.;
- One visa photo; and
- Processing fees.
For schools to receive nonimmigrant students:
Schools must obtain the signature of an authorized school administrator for Form I-17, Petition for Approval, and file the petition at the USCIS district office that holds jurisdiction over the region. Only licensed or accredited schools are eligible to apply.
Whether you may be a foreign national who wishes to study in the U.S. or an American school that wishes to admit foreign students, the attorneys at Altman and Altman LLP can assist you in meeting all of the requirements of obtaining a Student Visa. We are available to guide you in filing all of the appropriate documents so that you may have a successful application.
- Student Visas - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Student Visas - U.S. Department of State
- America.gov - Telling America's Story
- Form DS-156 - Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form
- Form DS-158 - Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant