What if the other person’s insurance company calls me for a recorded statement?
After a person is injured, it is not uncommon for their phone to start ringing. Many times insurance adjusters or representatives from the insurance company of the other person involved try to call as quickly as possible to get a statement, and this can be a trick to get you to say something that will be unfavorable to a potential personal injury claim. It might also be a ploy to offer you a small and unfair amount of money, expecting that you will take it instead of fully fleshing out a claim.
If a representative from another insurance company contacts you, we strongly recommend that you contact an attorney and refrain from discussing your case with them. You have a duty to cooperate with your own insurance company, but that duty doesn’t apply to other insurance companies. The following are some helpful tips in case you find yourself in this situation before you can speak with a lawyer:
- Do not give details about the accident or your injuries.
- Do not accept a quick settlement on the spot. Your claim might be worth more than you think, and you might not even know the full extent of your injuries until a bit further down the road.
- At this stage, do not agree to give the representative access to your records.
- Don’t give the representative permission to record the statement.
- Do not sign anything that you get in the mail from another person’s insurance company until you retain an attorney.
Call an Excellent Personal Injury Attorney Today at 617.492.3000 or 800.481.6199
If you would like to speak with a Boston personal injury attorney, the lawyers of Altman & Altman LLP can help you. Our team of skilled attorneys will give you all the advice that you need to protect yourself and your claim. We have the complete understanding of personal injury law that can only come from combined decades of practical experience. Over all of these years, we have successfully handled thousands of personal injury cases and we continue to do so. This experience combined with hard work and exceptional talent makes us a strong force against big insurance companies.
Call Altman & Altman LLP toll free at 617.492.3000 or 800.481.6199 or contact us online for a consultation.